Tuesday, November 8, 2011

not the original plan for the weekend, but still a good one!

Last weekend I should have been racing at the International Triathlon Union (ITU) long distance world championships (2k swim, 120k bike, 30k run) in Nevada... it would have been so cool to be a part of Team Canada, do the parade etc and the course looks so scenic (& tough)! 
But backing out last spring when I decided to drop any running and biking from my training to focus solely on my swim, was in hindsight obviously the best decision for me, as there is no way I would have been able to finish, never mind be competitive at this stage... So getting to an ITU world championship race another year goes back on the bucket list...This location is now where the 70.3 (1/2 ironman) championships are held, so I'll put that on the bucket list too!
Oh and coincidentally the swim leg of the race was cancelled due to low water and air temperatures.  And that would have been a bummer, I've had this happen once or twice for a tri and I was just not on my game because of it.  Low was 55C, so doable in a wetsuit... anyways I wasn't there to be disappointed that it was cancelled. 

P.S. Jordan Rapp won the event in 5 hours and Rachel Joyce won on the woman's side in 5:34 http://www.triathlon.org/events/event/2011_henderson_itu_long_distance_triathlon_world_championships/


So instead we went and watched a bunch of our friends run by in the Hamilton marathon and cheer them on, not that they needed it.  We have some fast friends!:
Brett Titus 23rd overall 1st in AG 2:57.02
Peter Von Euw 26th overall 2nd in AG 2:58:07
Ron Marek 50th overall 8th in AG 3:05:47
Huge Ryder 10th in AG 3:09:26
Alex McMillin 13th in AG 3:10:47
Bruce Horsburgh 8th in AG 3:29:28
Eileen Luxton 3:58:40
Mark Luxton 4:01:52
And then Bruce had us all over for a nice get-together after Thanks Bruce & Congrats to all!


On a sad note Jerry Friesen passed away on Nov 2nd.  Jerry was the race director for the Subaru Hamilton-Niagara running series.  I did the series last year and really enjoyed it!  Jerry did a great job.  His unexpected passing is a big loss for the running community.  The Casablanca 8k is the last race in the series and coincidentally the last running race I did (last year).  So seeing as how my running is up to about 8k now, I decided to sign up and do this race next weekend in Jerry's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment