Wednesday, May 8, 2013

the devil made me do it

I rarely talk about religion, I’m an atheist. 
But there are times when unexplainable things happen, and when people do things that defy logic, it can be possible to believe that something has possessed that person.  I’ve witnessed and experienced this sort of possession and it least when it comes from athletic competitors no one really gets hurt except for maybe that individual. 
I had signed up for the Mississauga Marathon taking place the 1st weekend in May, I had been doing lots of training, but I knew I had a problem with my hamstring/hip/glute, which I was trying to ignore and train through and of course it all blew up on me, so that I really was unable to run after the Around the Bay 30k at the end of March.  This injury hurt me even while I swam, so swimming for recovery wasn’t even really working for me.  Anyways I hate dropping a race I’ve signed up for, but I knew the marathon was not an option, at least I could listen to that much logic.  Then one day at swim practice, my friend Stacy said she was going to do the half with my massage therapist, Julie to pace her for 2 hours.  That seemed possible??? – well not really, but it seemed desirable…  I went and picked up my race kit the day before still undecided, I get my race number 666, a number associated with the devil, so I’m claiming the devil possessed me into doing the half.  Well 2 hours wasn’t possible.  And I finished a half for the 1st time in over 2 hours.  Sometimes something possesses us to do unexplainable illogical things like run a half marathon with an injury, at least that’s the worst the devil “made” me do…

 
And yes I felt like hell afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment