Saturday, May 28, 2011

Nationals

I have for the past number of years participated in masters swimming championships, either Provincial or National or both.
This year I went to Nationals in Montreal. 
I initially was disappointed with my swims, particularly lack of personal bests (PBs), only 1 over the weekend.  I thought since I've been spending way more hours swimming than other years, PB's would be falling easily... I felt a shake in my confidence for my big event for the year (the Lake swim) from my performance, and even shed a few tears when I mentioned it to Dave, my coach/BMSC coach. 
But Dave reassured me that pool sprint racing is not what I am training for and continuing training for my Lake swim in the week up to Nationals meant I wasn't tapered either... my team-mates were also there for me, helping reassure me!
And finally on the last event, the 1500 free, I took 8 seconds off my previous best time (from 2005) in very easy fashion.  This was a very comfortable race/pace, which I could have continued for longer... 
I also met Lake Ontario swim crossers Colleen Shields (who will be my SSO swim master) and Kim Lumsden...
Always a good time with BMSC on away trips!  My memorable moments include:
  • the laughable poorly organized/run meet
  • taking the subway with Lynn and our guide Art
  • our “quick” zip home to hang up wet stuff resulting in getting lost before the social (especially since Jenn Strang was with us and the social was for her to get an award)
  • Dave Bilton's Saturday evening tour with John Arbon of Old Montreal
  • taking pictures with the underwater camera
  • watching Denyse complete her 1st 200 fly
  • playing on the restaurant floor with Andrew and a St Hubert cardboard car
  • having my flight home cancelled til the next morning

1 comment:

  1. Keep going... we're almost ready to go!

    ReplyDelete