Monday, June 6, 2011

The water is finally open

yeah! We have managed to have some nice weather, which means we can finally get swimming outside! 
We (14 LOSTies) jumped in Lake Ontario last weekend, it was brrr cold!  Rob's thermometer read 44F/6C and Steve's read 40F/4C (I sort of wonder if Rob got a trick one)  Although not in for very long, I was happy with my bodies ability to return to comfort after getting out.  Apparently the Lake has warmed up already since (per Rob,,,hmmm) 

I also managed a couple swims up at Gullivers.  The one on Sunday was very fun.  The family all went, with the new kayak and dingy too.  I did a couple laps while the rest of the family had a picnic and got the dingy blown up.  Then they pulled up beside me, Bill kayaking, towing the girls in the dingy.  It was a little distracting, as they were talking to me, and with my cap over my ears I had to stop to hear, but it was a good distraction.  I did some swimming where each stroke I was high 5ing Dahlia.  Cadence also tried the kayak (with Dahlia tucked in front of her) and they seemed to enjoy it!  My only regret was forgetting the camera, it would have been a great shot from my perspective in the water looking up at them.  It was truly beautiful.
On the funny side, there is this spray fountain in the lake and Bill towed the kids towards it to get them a little sprayed on, but the dingy got stuck at the spout and they got drenched and the dingy almost filled with water!  (I heard the screams and saw them stuck there, but eventually Bill managed to get them moved off)

It is way later in the year then I thought to be starting open water swimming, but I sure am happy to finally be there.  It really is so enjoyable and invigorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment