Sunday, June 17, 2012

happy fathers day to the special biking dads in my life

A couple weeks ago I watched the coverage of Ryder Hesjedal make history by becoming the 1st Canadian to get on the podium in a grand tour cycling event (the Giro d'Italia).  This was so exciting, being Canadian and enjoying cycling myself.   More memorable for me though was that I was watching it with the 2 guys who have really been major forces in my introduction and continued interest in cycling.

Me and my daddy
1st guy - my dad.  My dad used to ride his bike to work everyday, he taught me how to ride, and still rides in a weekly cycling group (he's in his 70s btw)  I still remember on one bike ride when I was little, he chased some guy who honked at us, defending our right to share the road, but forgetting I wasn't quite able to keep up and had no sense of directions. He realized and came back to me, but I'm pretty sure he told the driver (nicely) not to honk at cyclists for simply using the road, first.  
Cycling (watching or doing it) with my dad, is something that we have always enjoyed together.  I also think I can thank my dad for my athletic spirit and leading by example on a fitness for life precept.  Thanks dad, keep riding!

Bill ripping it up
The other guy I was watching the finish of the Giro with was my husband Bill.  Back (way back) when Bill and I were dating, he got me to try mountain biking.  It became something I really enjoyed and made for some good dates.  I'm thinking specifically of the time it was so muddy, the mud had clumped in the wheels and made it impossible to ride.  We had to stop and remove the mud with our hands.  Mud in our hands plus a loving look at each other = mud fight!  
And in recent years, Bill's been my bike coach, bike maintenance guy, and training friend.   Thanks Bill!  And here's to many more clicks together.

Ryder (cool name, kinda like Cadence?)
I believe Ryder's win will help continue to build cycling in Canada but I need to thank these 2 guys, my dad and my husband, for building my love of pedal power.






P.S Happy fathers day!
Hope you get out for an enjoyable bike ride!
Love Mel xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment