Thursday, August 16, 2012

LOST founder swims home

Less than 48 hours after the LOST race we were on to our next adventure on the lake.  Here's the story of friend Rob Kent's Lake Ontario crossing, in his words: http://lostswimming.com/?p=4980

some of the crew & support before Rob's start

I don't want to add too much, except to say that being on Rob's crew was a great honor.  It sounds sappy, but it was a tad emotional seeing the guy who got Bill and I to start pushing our limits, do and complete one of his big goals.  He had a team of strong pacers, in fact all but the 3 crew for the sailboat and Rob's kids (since they aren't old enough) have done Ironman.  And I hadn't found the time to get my boat licence (on the to do list) to even be able to relieve Bill on the zodiac, so I was not a necessity to be included on the crew.  And when I said this to him with my thanks for being a part of his team, he cracked up and said I was at the top of the list for being on his adventure!  And he went on to say "I really couldn't have done it without you and Bill, and not just because of the zodiac! This is where this whole thing spirals out of control... I inspired you... your swim last summer inspired me to swim this year... enough already... no more inspiration... this is starting to get way out of hand!  Besides, I don't think I could take anything bigger than that!"

So its all kind of cool how things have come about and how having adventurous friends can lead you into fun times, that just keep building off each other. 
crewing includes texting with other crew
and crew can even look this beautiful














Bill and the zodiac on their 3rd successful crossing
Bill and I got to crew on our first crossing together.  And this crossing made Bill and the zodiac 3 for 3 on successful crossings (me, Madhu and Rob) and it is also my 3rd time in a successful crossing (Miguel, me swimming, and Rob)  We are really learning alot!






One final comment to congratulate Rob!  Way to go, my friend!  It took much longer than expected and although that is physically tiring to endure, mentally this puts Rob up with the toughest, going more than a quarter longer then he thought, got to be hard for the psyche! Holding it together and not throwing in the towel ~ that is fortitude!  Really amazing accomplishment! 

P.S. something tells me there will be more trouble to get into in the future, despite Rob's plea...

No comments:

Post a Comment