Tuesday, January 17, 2012

the guy who got me moving in the open water ~ my friend Rob Kent (#80)

Steve Munatones a OW swim icon himself, compiled a list of 101 movers and shakers in oper water and says "Some have impact in a subtle manner; others are aided by the media or their own marketing efforts. Some seek to be influential; others merely wield power by the force of their actions, events, achievements statements or prose.  However way these individuals are involved in the the sport, the following men can be considered to be among the movers and shakers in the world of open water swimming. It is, by far, an incomplete global list, but these men are open water ambassadors, spreading their enthusiasm and passion for the sport:
http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2012/01/101-movers-and-shakers-in-open-water_10.html

And my friend Rob Kent is on the list (the list is alphabetical, he is #80). 

Making this as good a time as any to do a little blog about the guy who really got me moving to go the distance!:


Rob looking only slightly crazy! lol
Rob Kent - most people who know of him, probably think he is a little crazy!  And those who get to know him better, may find that some of that craziness rubs off of them.


I met Rob Kent when he was training to swim the English Channel (it seemed a little cuckoo), and shortly after that he had me swimming in Lake Ontario.  When I told anyone back in 2008/2009 that I was swimming in Lake Ontario, I certainly got the "you must be crazy" looks and comments.  But now, thanks to Rob Kent and L.O.S.T. the number of Lake Ontario swimmers has grown exponentially, including some of those who thought I would grow a 3rd eye doing so a few years earlier.


With the growth of the Lake Ontario Swim Team (L.O.S.T.) which Rob Kent founded, he asked me to help as registrar for the group.  Although this is a little bit of work, it's work with Rob, so pretty relaxed and honestly I am so happy to be a part of the growth of swimming in Lake Ontario, I thank him for asking me...


Not only did he help get me and so many others in the Lake for training and for fun, he also gets people to sign up for races/events that they might otherwise not enter.  He gets people to try things that really push their own limits.


IM L.O.S.T. group ~ Louisville 2009
I know, he did it to me: he got husband Bill and I to do our 1st Ironman in 2009.  I will always remember the mass e-mail he sent "we were chatting over a few beers last night and think we should get a bunch of people to do IM Louisville; who's in?"  And my response back: "Are we crazy for even thinking about this.  We have a baby.  I have never done more than a sprint triathlon and Bill has just done duathlons because he doesn't swim"  Yet we jumped off the deep end and did it!  And I believe the experience was even better because we had such a great group go and do it too!




I don't exactly know how he gets people to step outside their comfort zones, maybe just by inspiration, as he repeatedly does it: Ironman, marathon swims, ultra marathon events (in deserts)... and he is still smiling!


He's always willing to help too.  Ask a question: "What should I eat" or "How much should I training" etc and he'll gladly share his experience and probably tell you where to find more advice/information...


He has accomplished some pretty amazing feats, yet he is not boastful, in fact he is laid back, enjoying the the activity for the activity's sake, and enjoying the conversation and the people he shares it with, and he's always good to get together with for a pint after to conspiring on the next event to suck people into...


Rob Kent, ya I think he's a little nutty, but he's a great friend!
Congrats Rob on being named to the list, well deserved!  

No comments:

Post a Comment