Monday, March 12, 2012

"UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

I have long been a big fan of Dr. Seuss!
In an earlier blog about my favourite motivational quotes http://melaniepriceadventures.blogspot.com/2011/01/some-of-my-favorite-quotes.html I included a quote from probably my favourite Seuss book The Places You'll Go: "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting.  So... get on your way"  I like(d) to read this book to my kids and I add in their own names at the end, "whether your name is... Cadence or Dahlia... kid you'll move mountains"


What a gift Dr Seuss had to write such catchy stories with such good simplified morales in them.


The Lorax by Dr Seuss illustrates the plight of the environment.  It was published before I was born; incredible foresight to write a kids story, that is so applicable to this day and age!  The message is a good one, that we decided to take Dahlia to see the adaptation on the big screen (her 1st time at the movie theatre) And since my blog has some ties to environmental concerns I thought I'd do this little blog too.


Over 10 years ago I painted a page from The Lorax on the playroom wall
Dahlia sat captivated by the bigness and the volume of the big screen.  There was lots of lively music which she bopped to!  In the movie, since there are no trees, the city's big-wig sells 'air' to make a fortune; I wasn't quite sure Dahlia would get the concept, but afterwards she said it was sad when the animals had to leave because they couldn't live there anymore... so it wasn't completely over her head. 


If you haven't before, read this book or watch the movie adaptation and share the story with your kids, because "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It's not!"


Thanks Dr Seuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment