Thursday, March 8, 2012

when you burn the candle at both ends eventually you'll get burnt

The fact that I have been trying to write this post for over a week could be considered proof of what I am about to say: I'm a busy gal!
You may have heard me say I'd rather be busy then bored.  It's a true statement.   But then there are those occasions when I feel like I want to rip my hair out, quit my job, or wish my children would hurry-up and hit adulthood... I guess what I'm trying to say is it's HARD sometimes.
The end of February was one of these times.  Mid February marks the beginning of required overtime at work, which continues until Apr 30th.  So this becomes my life for multiple months: I try and work 10+ extra hours a week, workout 10+ hours a week, I have a part-time coaching job, a child who swims 8 times a week. And that's the regular weekly stuff, there are also swim meets, officiating, LOST registrations, arranging for another speaking engagement I've been asked to do, discussions with a new sponsor who approached me, asked to cover extra practices, etc...  I like doing all this (or else I wouldn't), it is what interests me, stimulates me, drives me; but sometimes it just feels like too much... like the end of February, when my helpful parents are away, Cadence's carpool swim-mate is off, and of course I get sick, fever for 3 days, nasty cough for a week after that.  And then little Dahlia gets it too.  So I'm feeling crappy, trying to arrange care for Dahlia when I'd rather be home caring for her but instead I'm trying to make up for my sick days on top of the overtime... and when I took Dahlia back to school after being off for almost a week, she's wasn't feeling quite top-notch and she didn't want to go and was being very difficult! To help ease her back to school, I went in the school with her the 1st day back, only to come out of the school after to be getting a parking ticket.  I got in the car and cried while I rushed off to work.  It was the icing on the cake.  It was me getting burnt from burning the candle at both ends!
But even in this moment of being completely overwhelmed, I knew a good workout would make me feel better!  I can work so much out with a workout.  It's incredible how it can help give me energy as I'm expending it.

"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!"
~Edna St Vincent Millay
Being sick has meant I fell off my goal of 100 runs in 100 days.  Today is 67 days and I'm 8 runs behind.  I will try and make them up, it will be challenging.  I guess that's the name of the game I like to play ~ Challenge!
I won't change the amount I want & attempt to do,... it was a bad spell, but I still believe that the opposite: boredom & lack of activity is worse.  When things get burnt down so low, I'll just get a new candle, light it at both ends and keep it going as long as I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment