Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's a small world after all & about 70% of the earth's surface is water!

So today I saw one of my teachers from elementary school, Jane, again for the 1st time since my elementary school days.  The meeting was planned as Jane and her husband John are members of the Peninsula Paddlers Kayaking Club that I've connected with through my friend Jennifer Davies, who I know from when she swam with BMSC, and Jane and John had offered to kayak for me.  We met at Lake Ontario but the conditions were not favourable for kayaking (or swimming)  The white caps went way out there for awhile, strong winds and the fog was coming in, not to mention John has 2 broken feet, although I think it rarely slows him down!
But the connection goes further then me and Jen, the kayak club and Jane because John's daughter, another Jen, also used to swim with me at BMSC, until the birth of her daughter, named coincidentally, Melanie.
And as we stood in the drizzle, John mentioned kayaking across Lake Ontario and how one of the times he did so was for a swim relay, which we believe was the same relay race I was a part of in 1995... small world!
They and other members of the kayak club, have also been involved with trying to keep our waters clean, and were involved with the Cootes Paradise clean up, for example, actually out in their kayaks in Cootes dragging out garbage!

So once again water connects me to great people, some new and some renewed ...

Thanks again John and Jane for coming out, hope we get out on/in the water next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment