Thursday, September 20, 2012

girls just want to have fun

Generally I've felt I got along better with males than females.  It likely has to do with my Tom Boy propensity.  My lack of interest in make-up and frilly things.  I never wore pink before I had kids (being a mother of girls helped me explore my girlie side a bit more, enough to wear pink occassionally)... I like sports, nature and drinking beer... so I guess I felt I had more in common with the boys.
That said, I also found joining sports groups was the best place for me to find girl-friends.  These friends I've found, may wear make-up or pink more than me, but the basic like of activity was a common foundation on which to build some female friendships.  HAC, university swim team, and Burlington Masters Swim Team has been the source of many of my friendships over the years.  And it only follows that when the girls get together, we "do" some activity... Recent years the BMSC girls have made a habit of getting away for a fun girls weekend.  We've done dragonboating, circus school, rafting, ziplining to name a few things.
This last weekend we headed to Camp Wenonah to stay in cabins and play like kids at camp.
By the time everyone arrived Friday it was pretty late, so we basically hung out in the cabin having a few beverages.  Jenn, Colleen and I went for a night walk around the camp... our conversation turned to what if we saw a bear, I said I'd run, the others were "no you can't out run a bear" but I said, I only have to out run you two... oh, so that's how I was going to be... well they would remember that when there was a poisonous fish when we went out for a swim tomorrow (since they are both faster swimmers than me) LOL  Oddly enough the next day we did see a Bear Alert sign!

Next morning, pretty much everyone got up for a run, there were a variety of speeds and Denyse and I are training for upcoming triathlon, so everyone just did what speed/distance they wanted.  It was a cold and pleasant run and I was very happy to have gotten a workout in.



So then after breakfast we decide to navigate our own hike around the lake, (instead of taking the camp guided one)  How hard could it be?

Ummm yeah we got lost,,, what they said was a 5k walk took us 2.5 hours.  We had cell phone gps, but it wasn't accurate, it showed roads connecting that didn't connect, it didn't show us on roads when we were...  We had a few scares along the way (Stacy was in need of some sugar for her diabetes and we worried Fiona who went off ahead was kidnapped by a guy in a pick-up we met) but eventually made it back, safely, just in time for lunch.

Next we decide to take a dip in the Lake... Maybe its not that surprising our dip turned into a swim to the Island and back... and then we finally relaxed and sat on the dock with some beer and snacks for the rest of the afternoon.





After dinner, in case we didn't get enough exercise, we canoed around the island as the sun was setting.  It was beautiful!






In the cabin that night we played charades, let's just say I won't be able to think of one childhood tv show the same ever again thanks to Fiona.
Sunday morning was only about 1degrees, that and all the activity and beer the day before, we were all a little slower to rise from our sleeping bags...  We managed one last paddle before returning home from another great girls weekend!

P.S. Shortly after returning home I read these 2 articles: imbibing in alcohol betters your odds of not dying prematurely and hiking makes you smarter... so it appears we benefit long term from our fun girls weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment