Saturday, July 16, 2011

Don't Fear Fear.

The article was in the Toronto Star today about my Lake Ontario crossing: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1025752--oakville-swimmer-to-attempt-crossing-lake-ontario

I think it was a good write-up!  And think it is great that they are doing a piece on Lake Ontario and am honoured to be a part of it.  (It just missed the link to my giving page to make donations to Lake Ontario Waterkeeper http://www.canadahelps.org/gp/11261 .) 

Interestingly I got an email about the article from someone saying they were alarmed by my statement “My greatest fear with this is letting people down,” Price says. “I’m not going to necessarily make it across. But even if I don’t make it, I will be proud of myself for continuing to work for this". 
As they felt with this attitude I was bound to fail... it was a thoughtful email in that they were telling me to replace negative thoughts with positive etc., but I felt I needed to reply to further explain the quote with the following:

Thanks for your interest and your positive thoughts
But I disagree with you, about my attitude making me bound to fail, and that fear will conquer...the quote is some what out of context, in that, next, I think I said "there are lots of elements in open water that are out of my control".  There is even a slight chance that I may not even get to start if there are thunder storms on the days I have picked to cross.  I know one fellow who had his window for crossing the English Channel come and go with him not having an opportunity to even start because of conditions, and another who didn't make it because he took his start on the last day of his window even though it was an unfavourable day (neither of these are failures).
My fear is of letting people down if something happens out of my control that forces me to abandon the attempt, because lots of people have supported me, made donations etc, and some may not understand the nature of open water swimming... 
The Lake has many variables, rough days, cold days, currents etc...  I am in the lake often and almost every time I am learning something new about the lake and about myself.  This means when/if I am faced with an obstacle on my crossing day, I most likely have experienced it before and can draw on how I handled it before, this is the positive way to accept fears...  A challenge without fear, in my opinion wouldn't be a challenge...
I was afraid before my first Ironman triathlon, I think it is quite a normal emotion before a new / big challenge, but I had one of my best races that day.
Failing is when one lets fear stop them from even trying... One of my favourite quotes is from "Gold in the Water" by PH Mullen about a group of swimmers trying to make the US Olympic swim team:
To make this is going to be so sweet, to fail will be disappointing. Either way, it is going to be painful, but the experience of a lifetime, and life will go on. But those who strive, those who leave nothing on the table, those who will take the risk, will all be winners.  Life is truly sweeter for those who truly live it. The world belongs, and will always belong, to the people who participate. Don't stand on the outside, take a risk, you might fail, but you will understand the beauty of each breath of life. So don’t feel sorry for those who fail, feel sorry for the majority that never participate. They’ll just never understand, let alone feel, all that life can and should be.
I hope you continue to follow my adventure http://melaniepriceadventures.blogspot.com/ and don't worry I have many positive thoughts (I was specifically asked by the interviewer about my biggest fear) and a very positive, supportive crew, and I always have a great time together with my family and crew!
Cheers,
Melanie Price

No comments:

Post a Comment