Monday, July 4, 2011

Oh Canada!!

What a great Canada Day weekend!  Sunny and beautiful!  This was the 1st weekend in awhile were I didn't feel overloaded with things that needed to be done.

We started Canada Day celebrations Thursday night at friends' Mimi and Ed's, where I spent some time in their little pool with Dahlia, as people laughed that I was "training" for Lake O.  Dahlia also had a blast on the trampoline (okay I did too)  It was nice to socialize and for Cadence to spend time with Hana (her friend from when she was in daycare and the source behind how we became friends with Mimi and Ed (Hana's parents)).  And the boys (Bill and Ed) were all grins and giddy putting on a fabulous fireworks display!!

Friday, unfortunately Bill had to work, but the girls and I got some things done around home, including washing the car (more water fun).  Then when Bill got home, we headed to the Lake for a swim.  It was a wonderful 70F, and beautifully clear.  I appreciated having Bill kayaking by me as there was a bit of boat traffic, which sometimes seemed to take awhile for them to even see him, but regardless I loved seeing people enjoy the Lake!  When we came back into shore, there was a group of tourist, asking us many questions: how shallow it was, was it okay to swim, how long had I been swimming, etc.  And then a bunch of them went in for a dip too.  They thought Bill was a lifeguard and a few asked to sit in the kayak.  I have to tell you their excitement about the Lake and us swimming and kayaking was neat and infectious, it really made me excited about what I am trying to do.  Part of swimming Lake Ontario is that it is right here in my own back yard and it is something I have grown to love and want others to experience and care about and this little contact with these tourist made me proud to be Canadian and proud of our great Lake!

So, back at home after, we had an email from friends training for Ironman Canada, who went to go swimming in Lake Ontario out in Oakville that morning and couldn't do it because it was so freezing!  Seemed odd that just later the same day (but off of Hamilton's shore) it could be so perfect for swimming...  

Saturday morning was the regular LOST swim, and we weren't really sure what to expect for temperature, but I was being positive and didn't bring my wetsuit.  Bill and I went early to get a little extra in... I put my feet in and said "oh no, want to go up the creek", it was too cold (below 50F) especially without a wetsuit and I wanted more than the few minutes I may have been able to stand, so I swam in the creek, up and then down, the cold from the Lake had travelled further up the creek then the previous time I had swum there, so it was great mentally to know and force myself to go back to the cold each lap.  Then Chris and Darren joined me in the creek and then the next lap, Bill went to go greet the LOST group and I swam off on my next "lap" by myself (Chris and Darren went further up the creek, apparently as far as they could go)... on my return back down, I was rewarded with a splendid vision:  Bill in the kayak and all these swimmers behind him (37 swimmers, another LOST record), how I wished I had a camera...  but here are a few pictures Bill captured from the kayak:






So Sunday, what to do for my swim?  We decided to try the Lake, along Hamilton shore again, but this time with the wetsuit in tow just in case... and it wasn't needed!  Sweet!  It was 70F again, I got a good 3.5 hour swim in, and really enjoyed it,,, I could just picture myself keep going and going.  One lesson learned: the legs can get sunburnt under the water too!

This mysterious Lake we have, Oh how I love her!  Although she can make it hard to train for!!; being part of the elements, her variableness, it's all part of what I love!
Being out in nature, in the Lake, was a Great part of my Canada Day weekend!  Hope yours was as enjoyable!
Melanie xoxo

picture courtesy of Tyler Shane - Lake Ontario from his boat


No comments:

Post a Comment