Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Remember coming back may be up-hill

Monday I met up with a new person from the Peninsula Paddlers Kayaking Club, Nancy, who volunteered to come paddle with me!  I just think it is so amazing when strangers are willing to help!
Anyways it was another rough day on the water!  We had to go out pretty far to get past the big crashers.  The waves were pretty big and maybe because we were so far off shore, my perception was that we were moving really slow on the way out.  And I just figured this was going to be the more difficult direction... but when we turned around to come back, I soon realized I was wrong.  It was definitely an up-hill battle going back.  The waves were more choppy going this way, this makes it harder to get a rythm as the waves hit your arm before you plan to put it in the water and makes you start your pull before you intended and it also makes it harder to time a breath/easier to swallow water when you want to get a breath!  I really felt like I was in an endless pool, working hard, but going nowhere!  It was very slow going!!  And after 3 and a half hours in the water and still a fair distance from the start location and it starting to get dark, I decided, for safety and as well because I had not set up my nutrition to be out for any longer (being out for over 3 hours was not the plan and I felt bad for doing that to my new kayaking friend) to go to shore and run along the beach the rest of the way back.  Nancy could then kayak a little faster to the finish. 
And just to give Nancy some kicks, the big crashing waves flipped her coming into shore!  She was so cute, telling me her heart was just beating like crazy when she started to come in she was so excited!  She had a kayak that needed to be emptied of water before we could get it back to her car.
Big hug from my new wet friend!
Thank you Nancy!  you were a trooper out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment