Monday, July 25, 2011

Fun in Lake Ontario

Rob wrote a great little write-up about Saturday's LOST swim, http://lostswimming.com/?p=2578 where he mentions how underutilized Lake Ontario is, and how open water swimmers around the world only wish they had such a great body of water to train in.  Sentiments which I agree with completely!  He mentions a bunch of things Lake O doesn't have which make it great (sharks etc) and I want to expand on a few other benefits and share some other stories about the fun I've been having in it lately with family and friends.


Peninsula Paddlers Kayaking Club - The parasites in Gullivers (see my previous blog http://melaniepriceadventures.blogspot.com/2011/07/swimmers-itch.html) was a blessing in disguise, it made me connect with the Peninsula Paddlers Kayaking Club, so I could training more in Lake Ontario instead.  One of the tricky things about training for this crossing is getting in the training.  In the pool season I was a slave to the pool schedule.  And in Lake Ontario I always need someone with me, to train safely.  I was going to Gullivers to get some swims in that didn't require me to bring someone to watch over me (no boat traffic, it's small, warmer and never gets rough), but after two bouts of 'swimmers itch' there, I was ready to take up my friend, Jen Davies' offer to try and co-ordinate something with the kayak club she was with.  This has worked out beautifully for me and I think they are having fun out on the lake too (going nice and slow with me)  Jen used to swim with BMSC and it has been great to see her again.  Another member of the club is one of my teachers from elementary school (small world), and I'm meeting some new people too, who also enjoy the water, which always makes me happy!  Big thank you to Peninsula Paddlers!  This has made it possible for me to get out in the Lake approx. 5 times a week, which is giving me more great experiences in various conditions...

Variables - the variables you get out on Lake O are definitely one of it's benefits for anyone training for triathlons or open water races!  Cold temps, waves, chop and currents are all great things to train in if you are training for something that has an open water component.  Just like if you were training for a race with a hilly bike course you would do some training on hills.  In open water swimming though, you never know exactly what you'll get on race day.  You may be given an expected water temp range in the race description, but race day may be colder then expected.  A LOSTie has been out in some cold temps and knows they can handle it and that experience will be an asset!  Similarly for waves and chop!  It's a confidence builder to have trained in it and having done so can eliminate some race jitters too.  The variables have also helped stop me from getting bored of the training!  It is always something new and I never know what I'm going to get until I get there!


Cadence usually stayed on the dock

Rocking the waves - speaking of waves and not knowing what you'll get at the Lake: My oldest daughter, Cadence and I went down to the Lake on Tuesday with the intension of having her paddle with me.  When we got down to the beach, we found big white capped waves crashing in.  Cadence still gave the kayaking a try but she tipped and therefore I managed to get her in Lake O for the first time. (wink) See, Cadence isn't a big open water fan, "it's creepy!"  But she was already in, and with the lure of the waves, I convinced her to stay and play (after beaching the kayak)  We jumped waves, dove in them and the waves were big enough to do some body surfing too.  It was like the wavepool but with sand and occasional brush with seaweed; which still freaked Cadence out a bit but she made a great break-through and had some fun too.  We both also took the kayak out again, and after this crossing I look forward to enjoying the lake by kayak some more.

Sharing the fun continued with the manager of my swim - Fiona Lowden - Saturday Fiona came out to her 1st LOST swim to practice pacing with me, she even rented a wetsuit.  She did a great job as she does with everything!  On top of organizing this swim (& other events/fundraising for the swim) she is also able to drive a boat for the swim, as she has her pleasure craft licence; and she is able to pace for me!  She is also like a ray of sunshine, which I really noticed when she was on the boat for the trial swim, always smiling!  Fiona is a lot of fun and a great friend!  I don't think I will ever be able to thank her enough for all she is doing for me! and it really means a lot to me that she came out to swim in the Lake and enjoyed it too!


LOSTie friends
So I'm learning more about Lake Ontario as I get in it even more often and I've been enjoying it in various ways and with more friends and family.  Rob also mentioned the people being great in his blog!  This is a big part of it, there is a weath of experience and knowledge in the LOST group. On Saturday, I talked with Gary L a bit about his recent 10 mile race in Vermont, and Steve F shared his neat experience with me about observing/officiating in the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, to mention a few... it's just good conversation, with great people, who do some great things but are still down to earth!  Lake O has helped me to make these friendships!

Great Lake, Great experiences, Great friends and family! (& no sharks)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment